Wednesday 21 July 2010

For a long time now I've wanted to learn the art of screen-printing. As you well know I have a thing for hand-printed fabrics. I love the individual-ness of them and the depth of colour that you can get. I also love the less graphic and more individual approach. Screen-printed fabrics can be simpler, where just one image can speak a thousand words.

I got my chance today to begin, what I know is going to be, my love affair, my obsession, my new creative journey, thanks to Manda. Manda started this journey a few months ago and those that follow her know, as to be expected, what a natural she is. So what better teacher!

I began with a design that I have used quite a bit in embroidery and set to work by printing on various pieces of linen, just to get the feel for it. I have to say at this point that my, oh so wonderful, teacher had taken all the donkey work out of it and prepared my screen for me and all that was left for me was to play with fabric and ink...perfect!

As I imagined, I am hooked. I love it. And, as I anticipated, my head is bursting with ideas that I want to do and directions I want to take it. But I need to remind myself to slow down, take one step at a time. It will all happen...

7 comments:

Tara @ Aquamarine Art said...

Gorgeous! I know how long you've wanted to do this - how exciting - I bet you have a million ideas shooting round your head! Can't wait to see what comes next... x

Mishelflos Paper Creations said...

That looks lovely!! Love the colour of the print.

love
Michelle x

meplusmolly said...

It's always great to see 'creative learning' in action, like looking at people's sketchbooks and ideas really.
I'm experimenting with screen printing once again after years of having no access to facilities to do so, it's slowly coming back to me! but as always it's a learning curve for sure. The biggest thing as always is that 'simple works best!' love your first prints :) x

Kylie said...

Yah! Isn't it just addictive?! I love it too and I really love your design Karen :) Have fun! Kx

louise35flower said...

oh I have to get my printing stuff out again! you and manda are totally making my fingers itch!!

Rosalind Wilson said...

That's brilliant! How exciting, there'll be no stopping you now! x

twoforjoy design said...

Absolutely loving the screen print - AMAZING!