Wednesday 4 May 2011

One of the reasons we all congregated in Bristol over Easter was to all be together to go through Nan's house contents. She lived in a little bedsit by herself so there wasn't a lot there.
It was so nostalgic going through all the photos, birthday cards, postcards that we had all given her over the years.
She was such a hoarder and we discovered photos that we'd never seen before of family members that we had no idea who they were.

Like any elderly person she had collected a lot of bits and pieces, some of which unfortunately weren't fit for much. But there were also some real treasures.
One such treasure was bequeathed to me...

Her sewing box and all it's contents.
And just look at all these contents. Vintage heaven! I did have to wade through the mountains of worn out and beyond use items, but what absolute treasure she had collected.

We just don't manufacture things how we used to. The care and attention to detail on packaging way back when is indescribable and is so evocative of days gone back.
Thank you Nan for leaving me your valuable treasures and thank you Sister-In-Laws for not being sewers so didn't stand a chance!

10 comments:

Andi said...

What a wonderful inheritance!!
It certainly went to the right person.

Unknown said...

THAT is amazing!

What a treasure.

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

It's lovely to have your grandmothers sewing things. Such a nice way to have her in your life a little bit still. Enjoy!

Kylie said...

Oh my... how utterly wonderful! What a beautiful gift and what a very fitting way to remember her every single day :) Kx

elsy said...

what a treasure chest.......

Pomona said...

I inherited my grandma's sewing stuff, and some she gave me before she died - I treasure it still, and love using her buttons on things I make. And the little cards of darning thread are just too precious to use, not to mention the thread on those lovely old wooden reels.

Pomona x

One Flew Over said...

I'm sure your Nan will be missed.

Enjoy your new treasure, it looks spectacular x

Nicky said...

I have a lot of my mum's stash of sewing stuff - it's great to carry it through to your own work, although she was doing different stuff from me. The challenge is to find a way to make it reflect both her and me!

Love the sewing table looks Danish teak 70s and very now!

Justine said...

Wow! Lucky you its great!

Mags said...

I love these sewing chests: lovely curves and colour. And a lovely thing to remind you of your grandmother.