Friday 13 August 2010

In the interests of research and inspiration I made it a priority to pick up some magazines whilst we were away. I managed to pick up a nice selection from Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway.
It's clear from looking at them that the handmade vibe is as strong over in Scandinavia as it is here in the UK. Even though I can not understand a word of what is written, the pictures were speaking to me loud and clear.

I love seeing Scandinavian houses featured in British magazines, with their clean, fresh, quirky styles, so it was hardly a surprise that I would love flicking through the pages of these magazines.

Whilst it was possible to get Scandinavia's version of Elle Deco and the like, it was these with a vintage, handmade feel that I had to have.

Don't you just love this armchair?

With the world growing increasingly smaller and with several Scandinavian goods regularly seen on our shelves (Greengate and Rice being the most predominant) everything seems strangely familiar.

To stroll in and out of stores and see them in their own setting and amongst others too, was strangely comforting. And to flick through magazines and have this same feel be at my fingertips is a real pleasure.

Colour is something that Scandinavia does so well. Not in room decor, where walls are normally painted white, but in accessories.

All this colour against a white backdrop gives such a fresh, clean, relaxed approach. So easy on the eye.

There's a lot to take in and I'm looking forward to reliving my Scandinavian experience in the months to come as I flick through the pages again and again.

9 comments:

Kristy said...

Some lovely images there Karen! Thanks.

Kickcan & Conkers said...

What a nice selection of magazines, I'm jealous! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

Kate at M is for make said...

I love the Scandinavian style, that crocheted blanket is a favourite!

Entre Nous said...

Oh I have a glossy mag addiction.... *sigh* nice

Gilly Tee said...

Their kitchen acessories are great.
Gillx

Struinkunst by Lisette said...

Those magazines are wonderful and inspirational!! Thank you for the peeks inside (I wish I could get those in Holland...)

Jenny said...

My parents in law have just returned from the same cruise! Hope they've brought some goodies back with them!
Love the pics.

oklyous said...

I am from Denmark, and have to admit that I am perhaps much more into the whole british-cottage style! I think the scandinavian style very easily can get very cold.. A lot of white, and cleancut detalils - Of course depending on what direction your going into..
But loving he direction with colours and funcky design - mixed with british cottage style;)

Woo Gilchrist said...

Yummmy - I love anything Scandinavian. Those mags are great.