Thursday 26 August 2010

I'm really not sure about this one. I made this cushion last night for my BFs birthday. She generally loves everything I make, but I think this might not quite do it for her.

Not only is she my BF, but she is my best customer and every time I produce something new, she is right there to buy some...usually for gifts, so I hope all her friends are equally fans of my things.

I wanted to use some of my hand-printed linen. I am so keen to start designing my own fabrics to incorporate into my work. My head is buzzing with all the things I want to do. But as I was making this, I am just not quite sure it works.

I love the colours. I love, as ever, using linen in my work. I love how it sits so well with other fabrics. but there's something I'm not overly sure about.

The screen print to me looks almost like someone has come along and just added the design with a felt tip pen. I'm really not sure. Is the design too big? Is it too simplistic? I'm normally a fan of less is more, but I'm not fully convinced with this one.

Ruby took one look at it and OMG'ed it and demanded I make one for her. She's vying for the top spot for Number 1 Fan.

I may have to put it to one side for a day or two and see how I react as I catch glimpses of it. If I decide I can't bear to part with it, I'll know it's right...

17 comments:

Ditsy Bird Designs said...

I'm with Ruby - it made me mutter "ohhhhh" when I saw it.
Beautiful honestly! I like the big screen printed pattern next to the teeny tiny floral...gorgeousness in cushion form!
Sarah
x

Unknown said...

I think it's gorgeous! how could she not like it?

Mishelflos Paper Creations said...

I think you have probably been looking at it for too long.

As you say leave it and go back in a couple days.

I do that with cards I am not sure on. Normally I like the way they look after a day or two.

I love it, I dont think it looks like its been painted on with felt tip and the print is a perfect size for the size of the cushion, even against the smaller pattern.

And if she is a good customer AS WELL as a friend, she obviously likes your style:)
love
Michelle x

twoforjoy design said...

Oooh, I think it's lovely - the screen printing is fantastic - I remember your post when you'd printed it

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I honestly think it's fab (and I'm not just being polite).xx

Gilly Tee said...

I love it.Wish you were my BF.
Gillx

Tara @ Aquamarine Art said...

I think Michelle's right and you've looked at it too long. Also you're using a much more critical eye because it's your own fabric. If you'd bought it you would be loving it as much as we are! x

One Flew Over said...

I think it is lovely x

Kylie said...

I think it's gorgeous Karen. We are our own worst critics always. Having said that, though, I know that if I'm unsure about something, there's usually a reason and it's not always easy to see it yourself as you know the piece too well. I do admit that my eye keeps sticking at the flower which is cut off by the fabric panel but it's such a minor thing I feel hesitant to mention it at all, if you know what I mean? I always try to think in terms of balance - if one thing is cut off then the piece probably needs another cut off portion or two (I do believe 3 is the magic number!) But please don't think I'm saying it doesn't work - it is truly a gorgeous cushion and I'm sure your friend will love it :) Kx

Unknown said...

i have a lovely spot for it on my sofa! it's a nice one.

http://littlepaperbox.blogspot.com/

Caro said...

Awesome. It would be neat to add some hand stitching as well. I like the scale.

Mandy said...

I think it's really beautiful!! I absolutely love the screen printing!

silverpebble said...

Oh it's just perfect. The colour, the design motif, the linen. I adore it.

Unknown said...

you're being too hard on yourself, Karen. It's really lovely!

A-Squared said...

What a gorgeous combination. I just adore the printed fabric as well. What is it and where did you get it?

Red said...

I love it too! Your blog always makes me feel inspired!
redx

Unknown said...

this is beautiful! well done ^_^