Monday 11 October 2010

I wasn't quite expecting to get Jack and Jacketta done quite so swiftly. I honestly thought that I would be making them way past midnight the day before they needed to go.

Even when I started to choose and cut the fabrics on Sunday evening while we were all sitting watching X Factor, I assumed the pile of cut pieces would sit on the shelves for a few more weeks.

I should know really that I am the most impatient person on the planet when it comes to a project waiting to be completed. I can not switch off from knowing it is there. Strangely, I don't have the same compulsion with a pile of ironing...

I should also know that I get rather absorbed when doing something for the first time. The excitement of the challenge, along with wondering whether I will be able to do it is something I can't switch off from when trying something new.

My creative journey is on the whole an organic one. Lots of trial and error. Plenty of making it up as I go along. And certainly a distinct lack of formality of following a pattern or anything of the like. I could never have had the confidence to tackle something like this a couple of years ago. But I am pretty confident with knowing my way around my machine, fabrics, the lingo, so I didn't feel too daunted by the prospect. I did however wonder whether they would come out as they should, or even half-way rabbit-like.

And since I've never ventured into the world of making clothes either, I did wonder whether they were going to come out right too. Needless to say, I have now started yet another obsession and am making shorts and skirts for all of Ruby's teddies!

So when they turned out like this, I was more than just a teensy bit delighted and am now so excited to give them to my niece and nephew that I'm actually wondering how I will manage to wait until Chanukah. I'm just only too pleased that Chanukah this year starts December 1!



6 comments:

erika said...

they turned out great, I can tell you that making softies and dolls and their clothes is very addictive!! Even after making lots of them I still enjoy the process and I'm always nervous how they turn out ;-)

Daisie said...

They are really beautiful and I wouldn't want to wait to gift such a treat either. I also seem to suffer an ironing aversion, there is always something better to do!
xxx

Gilly Tee said...

They are so cute,much more fun than ironing which isn't my favourite either, come to think of it, housework in general is always bottom of my list.
Gillx

One Flew Over said...

They both look so beautiful! Great job Karen x

Kristy said...

They turned out great Karen. I know exactly what you mean about patterns. I never have the confidence that I will understand them.

Me and Ma said...

They look really good, great fabric choices :)