Wednesday 13 February 2013

new skills...





 a few weeks ago i bought a new toy and after a shaky start of the wrong foot being sent i finally had a spare 5 minutes to try it out yesterday.






 me being me i jumped right on in. no trying it out on fabric to see how this would actually work.
oh no, not me, i just grabbed the nearest block hanging on my wall and set to try.
if it worked great, if it didn't, well, it wouldn't be the first time.








 i knew exactly the design i wanted to try.
i'd made this sashiko cushion a while ago. i just love the stitch and thought it would work quite well on the x+ block. i actually had this quilting design in mind for my scrappytripalong quilt and so i thought this would be a good place to try it out. see...not all blind thoughtless jumping in. there is occasionally method to my madness...occasionally.
ok so it may be a little wonky and uneven but for a first attempt, not bloody bad at all! it is actually easier than quilting with a regular foot where i seem to ruche up the back no matter how careful i am at basting.


i am really pleased with how this little block has turned out and now just a teensy bit excited to quilt the scrappytrip along.

new toys, new skills...even more sewing fun!

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

I am well impressed! That's so fab!!!

Rachel said...

Good grief, please tell me that is not the first time you've done FMQ?! It looks perfect!!! FMQ and me do NOT get along, although I think it might be my machine's fault...
R x

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Gorgeous!! I love that quilting design but I'm too chicken to try it yet!

Svetlana said...

looks fantastic!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, congratulations!! I saw this on Instagram but I am so happy to see how you did the block in a bit more detail! I tried FMQ for the first time at a sewing shop last week, and my new 2nd-hand baby Janome came with a FMQ foot, so I'm going to have to learn! You make it look really easy here I must say!

Did you use an air-erasable pen for the guidelines?

Franziska said...

love the block, the colours, and also love the quilting pattern on it.