Monday 8 March 2010

I've had the real Monday Blues this morning. As you well know, and I'll try not to dwell and moan about how awful it is too much, I'm finding it fairly difficult in the house at the moment. Mondays are the worst. We get back to some normality over the weekend and then my peace is disturbed with a bang again come Monday morning.

So without dwelling on the bad any longer, with our 5 steps back and one step forward, every now and then something wonderful happens. The walls done in our bedroom was one giant and fantastic step forward. I am taking much solace from being in there, despite it still full of contents from other rooms that are still waiting their turn.

And just when I was feeling thoroughly rotten this morning, with all the project managing that needed handling, the decorator called me up to show me some exceedingly old wallpaper that he'd revealed while stripping the top inner landing. How amazing is this?

You hope that when you live in a house this old you'd discover some long lost original features. (Matthew is hoping for an original tiled floor in the hallway - I think he may be a tad disappointed)

Beneath it all, I am quite easily pleased. Yes, I'm exceedingly pissed off with sharing my life at the moment, but one little revelation like this and I'm all upbeat again. It truly is stunning and am chuffed to bits that it has been revealed. I'm just wondering how we can preserve it and not cover up this little patch again. Any ideas?


11 comments:

Woo Gilchrist said...

Wow! Could you maybe put a piece of perspex over it - like a picture?

Kristy said...

I was going to say perspex too. It is very sweet and such a nice feeling when you find reminders of history like that.

nickynackynoo said...

It's lovely. Very Mabel Lucy Atwell.

polkadotsandblooms said...

You will be so pleased when it is all done, I am sure it will be all worth it in the end and you will be looking back saying 'we did all this!' Just think with each day that passes you will be one day closer to completion!

Your find is sooo beautiful. This probably sounds silly but could you put a frame around it with glass/plexi glass to protect it and make a feature out of it?

Unknown said...

that's beautiful! It reminds me of Kate Greenaway.

I'd frame it too, it's so lovely!

One Flew Over said...

Try and salvage it! It is gorgeous!!

Kylie said...

OMG it's wonderful!!! Are there other layers underneath that the decorator can take them all off together - ie so that the lower layers act as a bit of structural integrity? We pulled up flooring once and there was lino underneath with newspapers from the 60s stuck to it (!) One was a front page from one of the early Apollo missions to the moon :) We still have it stuck to a piece of lino. I hope you can keep this beautiful paper somehow :) Kx

p.s. Thanks for my b'day wishes! xx

blue moss said...

thats so amazing....

Vintage to Victorian said...

Wonderful Kate Greenaway. Don't get rid of it whatever you do. The perspex idea sounds a good way of preserving it if it can stay in situ.

How old is your house? It might be worth taking a clearer photo and sending it to the V&A to get them to date the paper for you.

Sue

Bridget said...

Have just bumped into your blog (so to speak) and after a brief glance, am loving it! Will come back later and read more, but let me just say HANG. IN. THERE. My husband is a builder and he renovated our house from top to bottom whilst we lived in it - so I KNOW what you are going through, believe me - it is a living hell but IT IS WORTH IT. I know everyone will tell you this and at this point, all you can see is dust, but hubby tells me every house he renovates he makes the lady cry at some point (sounds bad, doesn't it?!) - because they just want it finished NOW and cannot stand the mess! My advice - hide as much as possible try to think 6 months down the line ...

Unknown said...

oh you must keep it!!